Friday, November 9, 2007

Article on "Helicopter Parents" of College Students

I'm not necessarily in favor of the term "helicopter parent" but it does describe what is happening more frequently in colleges and universities these days. I would encourage parents to keep in touch with their students as much as they and the student feel is reasonable*, but I would draw the line at parents intervening in situations their student should handle. Support is good, as is advice. What isn't good is never allowing your student to become an adult.

http://www.nbc5i.com/education/14511948/detail.html

~E

*Reasonable is probably not defined as numerous times a day, as I've seen first-hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I can honestly say that it never actually occurred to me to call and have mommy and daddy run interference in college! Goodness, it didn't occur to me in high school:-) I don't know aboutyou, but I'm MORE than a little concerned about the current college generation!
Karrie