Friday, July 18, 2008

Fun! With Food!

Since discovering I was pregnant, I have had some very interesting/frustrating food-related issues. Here’s a sample:

MILK
I love milk. I think I always have. I can pour myself a big, tall glass of milk and drink it all right on the spot. Since becoming pregnant, milk does not like me at all. I realized pretty early on that on days when I felt extra-nauseated it was probably due to milk consumption.

For the past couple of weeks I have finally been able to add milk back into my diet. Thank goodness! I still don’t drink milk by itself, but I’ve been okay with having some in my cereal and having my breakfast drinks. Well, I was okay until yesterday – but yesterday just makes me sad so I won’t talk about it. I’m better today!

PICKLES
I went through about a month-long love affair with pickles. I still enjoy a pickle now and then, but before I HAD TO HAVE PICKLES. RIGHT NOW. So I must take this time to thank my friend Jason who supplied me with the most delicious home-made pickles EVER!

ITALIAN FOOD
Just can’t do it. Except pizza. This is so weird to me.

DRY FOOD
Think crackers, cookies, over-cooked meat. If it is dry, I don’t want it.

MEXICAN FOOD
I have always enjoyed Mexican food. Fortunately for me, this is something I can still enjoy. I almost feel like it has become a staple food item for me. I even went through about a 2 week phase where I actually craved Mexi Dips & Chips. I’m over that phase right now, but it does sound yummy as I type this. Moving on…

FRIED FOOD
Doesn’t sound good to me, unless you are talking about french fries.

BURGERS
Big, juicy hamburgers from a sit down restaurant – NO.
Sonic burger or Big Mac – Absolutely YES.

I knew I was in trouble when I had a dream about a Big Mac. Yes, a dream. I think before that it had probably been 3 years or so since I had one. Has anyone noticed how much smaller they are? It's okay - I can only eat about half of my food these days anyway.


That’s about all I can think of for now. If anyone has any weird food aversions or cravings from pregnancy they want to share, please do so. It might make me feel better.

Not to make anyone worry, but I cry about food issues at least twice a week. Just ask my sweet husband. It's really just out of frustration. I’ve pretty much decided that I’m going to eat whatever I can eat and not worry too much about it. Since I’ve been pregnant I’ve lost 8 pounds and my appetite is pretty low. So, if I can stomach it then I am eating it!

Have a great weekend!

~Elisa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! Well, I can't really relate, but I sympathize! Good luck with it all. I hear it gets better closer to the end.

Karrie said...

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time:-( I'm trying to think about my time with Rusty.

The first trimester I craved absolutely nothing...just had the aversions. Coffee didn't taste good anymore (which made me VERY sad). It never made me sick it, I just really didn't want it at all. That one actually lasted until about a month before he was born. I also completely lost my taste for sweets of any kind which was odd on two counts, one because I almost ALWAYS love desserts, etc and two, because it was over the holidays. I made a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving that year and actually ended up throwing it away. Crazy!

As for cravings, I didn't have a whole lot of them. The only one I did have was for anything involving tomatoes. And I mean anything! From downing bags of the cherry tomatoes to jars of salsa, pizza, pasta, you name it. (Oddly enough, Rusty is now a big fan:-) Oh and I did love hamburgers and now that you mention it, the craving was for double-cheeseburgers from McD's!

I really never understood the people that could eat large amounts of food pregnant b/c I was more like you. I would get hungry, but only be able to eat about half of what I thought I would. Just seemed like there wasn't room for that much food.

I didn't gain a whole lot either (if you remember, when I was there & had dinner with ya'll, I was about 5 1/2 months pregnant and Andi was having to figure out ways to make me look pregnant for the pics she was taking!) Try to relax (I know, easier said than done) everything will be just fine. Eat what you can, when you can and don't sweat the rest. I'm sure that your doctor is keeping a good eye on you and the baby and will keep everything under control.

I'll be praying for you!

Love you,
Karrie

AW said...

I had major food aversions for about 6 months. Everything sounded and tasted...bleh.

I have to share my pickle story though...

Neil and his dad were working on the hardwoods last summer when I was big as a house. I was making them sandwiches for lunch and realized they got the last two pickles. I looked at that empty jar and decided I couldn't let the pickle juice go to waste. So I stood, barefoot and pregnant (ha!) in my kitchen, downing pickle juice. The strange silence of no hammers or guy chatter caught my attention. Neil and Tommy were standing in the dining room staring, with stunned looks on their faces. I didn't care. That pickle juice was awesome!

Otherwise, potatoes in any form (fried, hashbrowned, baked, boiled, mashed) I could not get enough of. CRAVED it! But my OB said potatoes are actually really high in B vitamins which stave off nausea, so my body naturally knew what it needed.